There are some foods from your childhood that just bring back some of the most happiest memories and for me, these quick and easy canned biscuit donuts are that delicious, delightful, treat.
Growing up, my mom came up with some of the best, frugal and delicious recipes. My brothers and I didn’t care that these were dirt cheap. All we knew was they were delicious and it was such a treat when she made them.
I continued the tradition and made these for my kiddos because they were simple, delicious and probably one of the cheapest breakfast (or dessert) you can make.
They may not be the healthiest of foods, but every now and then, it’s ok to indulge…am I right?
Let’s Make Them!
All you need is a can of the cheapest biscuits you can find. These cost .48 cents each at my local grocery store. You’ll need oil, sugar and cinnamon as well.
Open the can and lay the biscuits out on a flat surface. Normally, I would use a thimble to cut the holes, but I couldn’t find one, so I used the cap to an extract bottle. Worked like a charm!
Now you’re ready to put them into the heated oil. Test it first, using one of the holes. Place one in the hot oil and cook till it starts to turn golden. Turn it over. This should only take a minute or so.
Once it’s hot enough, place the biscuits into the hot oil. DO NOT walk away from them. They will cook very quickly. My only suggestion is to not put them in all at one time, like I did. Cook in smaller batches so they don’t get over done. Maybe do 3 or 4 at a time.
Once they’re golden on both sides, remove them from the oil and place them on a paper towel lined plate.
Let them slightly cool, then coat with the cinnamon and sugar.
That’s it! Super delicious, easy and incredibly cheap! Your kids or grand kids will think you’re the bomb! This is such a wonderful treat and I can assure you, the kids won’t be the only ones who love these!
Have you made these quick and easy canned biscuit donuts? Let me know if you’ve tried them. Check out other easy and delicious recipes by clicking HERE and be sure to subscribe to Love To Frugal for more money saving tips and delicious, frugal recipes.
- 1 Can of 10 count biscuits (I use the cheapest biscuits I can find)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- ½ cup oil (I use canola)
- Pour oil into the skillet. It needs to be almost ½ inch deep. Turn heat on medium to high and heat for about 5 minutes. While it's heating, mix sugar and cinnamon together.
- Open the biscuits and lay them out on a cookie sheet. Using a thimble or a small bottle cap, press into the center of the biscuit.
- Drop a center (donut hole) into the oil to test. It should bubble and will turn golden very quickly.
- Put the donuts into the oil and cook until they start turning a golden color. Turn them over.
- Once the donuts are golden on both sides, remove them from oil and transfer to a paper towel lined plate. They cook very quickly...within a few seconds.
- Once they have cooled for a few seconds, take each biscuit and dip into the cinnamon/sugar to coat.
- Serve warm and enjoy!