This is a simple recipe for anyone to make. The kids or grandkids will love to help make this easy Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake! I found this recipe over 30 years ago in an old cookbook that my mother in law gave my husband, when he moved into his first apartment.
When my kids were small, money was very tight, so I would look for recipes that were easy and used ingredients that I would have on hand. That’s what makes this recipe a keeper! It’s basic, simple and delicious! My kids loved this coffee cake. We would have it for breakfast AND dessert!
I would also make one up real quick if I knew I was having company coming over. Serve it warm with a cup of coffee and oh. my. goodness! To die for!
Let’s Make It!
Easy Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake!
This recipe uses basic ingredients that you probably already have. Flour, sugar, milk, egg, baking powder, butter, cinnamon, salt and brown sugar.
Make the streusel first. The butter needs to be firm for this, but the butter that goes in the batter should be softened. I used a fork to mix until it was crumbly, then I set it aside.
Next, mix the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl on Low speed for 30 second, then beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes, scraping the sides at least once. Pour half the batter in a lightly greased baking dish. I used an 11″ x 7″ but you can also use a 9″ x 9″.
Sprinkle half of the streusel mix on top of the batter, then pour the rest of the batter on top of the streusel.
Sprinkle the remaining streusel mixture on top, put in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. (All ovens are different, so check it after 30 minutes.) It’ll be done when an toothpick, inserted in the middle, comes out clean.
Serve it up warm with a hot cup of coffee or a big glass of cold milk. Either way, it’s yummy!
If you make this recipe, be sure to let me know how you liked it and also, be sure to subscribe to Love To Frugal so you never miss a post! Check out canned biscuit donuts for another quick, easy and frugal breakfast or snack recipe!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine (softened)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp firm butter or margarine
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare the Streusel by mixing the ingredients until crumbly and set aside.
- Beat remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium speed, scraping the sides of the bowl, occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Spread half of the batter in a lightly greased oblong pan (like for bread), a 9x9x2 pan or a 13x9x2 baking pan.
- Sprinkle with half of the Streusel then top with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle the remaining Streusel over the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in the center and it comes out clean.